Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Reading; Why Can't I Get Paid for It?

I've been cruising through books this year. I big part of it comes from my desire/goal to read through all the Hugo and Nebula winners. Considering that's about 50 books each and intermixed, there's a lot to read before that goal is reached. I also work a lot, but that actually helps me read because both jobs tend to afford me and hour lunch where I can sit in my car and read. Being given a block of time that I can and must read really keeps me focused. 

Because of it, though, I read some amazing stuff. Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man was a fast paced cyberpunk novel written before cyberpunk was invented. It's crazy how modern that book read and how well it holds the reader's attention, even after sixty years. I also read A Canticle for Leibowitz, which was another book that read like it was written only yesterday. It's a post-apocalyptic book that also speaks on the power of faith. It's one of my new favorites.
But then there's the fact that I want to read books that aren't on either of those lists, books that I just want to read for fun. How do I find time for those? Or all the comic books I devour during the week? It's nuts.

After watching the movie, I have a hankering to reread World War Z. That got me thinking that I never reread my favorite books anymore. When's the last time I picked up Jurassic Park or Neverwhere? What's the point of owning The Lord of the Flies if I never read it anymore?

Or how about all the Christian literature I used to love reading? My to-read list for those titles is getting longer all the time with no dent. I used to try to read a fiction book and a Christian book at the same time, but I've fallen out of the habit. 

One solution I've decided is to have a reread month. I don't know when, but I think I'm just going to have to dedicate a month to rereading my favorite books, or I'll never get to it. I want to do it soon, so it might end up in the fall. Maybe September of October. I makes me feel like a crazy person to schedule my reading like that, but what's a guy to do?

During this past season of lent, I decided to fast from all secular reading and just tackle Christian books, which was nice but reminded me how badly I need to read them all year. It really does strengthen my faith and spirit to have a constant incoming of teaching and conviction. 

I just read The Dragon Reborn, the third Wheel of Time book, and loved it. I don't know when I'll get to next book, but I'd like to read two of them a year so I can finish the series before I die. I'm trying to be more open to the fantasy genre lately, with both Brandon Sanderson's writing and Ursula K Guin's Earthsea books informing my choices. 

How many plain old fiction books do I ever read anymore? I just read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which was good for the most part. Michael Crichton's Disclosure also helped, but I think I need to start branching out into the normal, more contemporary world of fiction. For, I don't know, normality's sake. I don't know what that means I'll read, maybe more Jesse Stone books or books about people learning to love again. 

Since we're moving at the end of the month, I've already packed up all my books. I figured, if I could read a book a week, which I tend to do anyway, than I could leave three books out and finish them by the end of the month. First, I'm reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Then, I move on to Green Mars, which is the second book in the Mars Trilogy. And then, hopefully, I read Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man

After the move, I don't know how long we'll be living out of boxes so thank the Lord for my Kindle. I'll be using it exclusively for a while, I feel.Since I still haven't read Leviathan Wakes or The Heroes, which are both downloaded, I should be good for a bit, plus I have all those free classics like Tarzan and Robinson Crusoe to get to.

So, in summary; don't call me, I'm busy reading everything.  

3 comments:

Strange Visitor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Strange Visitor said...

While you're grabbing those golden oldies, don't forget the Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff...

Eric Mikols said...

He's already on my Kindle!