Another summer has come and gone and I now hold this one up to review. I figure if you can't come up with 10 good things to say about a summer break, no matter how bad it is, you've got a big thankfulness issue. And since I hate having issues, here's 10 things that made this summer worth having!
1. Samson- Okay, he's not really my dog, but he's the closest thing I've ever had. Part Husky, part German Shepherd, this pup is awesome. Walking him through the covered bridge and relaxing in the big field nearby has been great, as has chasing geese.
2. Jordan and Glenn getting baptized- What a blessing to see both my brothers getting baptized on the same day. I don't know what the future holds for these awesome young men, but I'm looking forward to seeing God work in their lives.
3. Sam Cobb's wedding- Sure, I filmed it and that's always refreshing, but it was great seeing all my BICS friends and getting to relax with a group of people I love dearly, and feel loved by. Plus, as much as I razed on the guy, the ice cream was pretty good.
4. Reading list- I got through some seriously good books this summer. Not all were gold mind you (here's looking at you, Dresden Files) but the good far outweighed the bad. Timeline, The Great Train Robbery, The Holiness of God, I Am Not a Serial Killer, Starship Troopers, Until We Have Faces, The Hand of God, and Foundations to name a few.
5. Writing again- But I don't want to talk about. Taking up writing, for me, is a big thing and because it's not perfect beyond belief, this is the only mention it will get.
6. Ligonier National Conference- Very cool and would go again easily. I got to listen to R.C. Sproul, John MacArthur, Alistair Begg and Burk Parson talk about Christian faith and the tough questions we face and I'm better for it. The talks were great, the fellowship was awesome, and I got to eat at Red Lobster. Very nice.
7. Simplifying- I got to continue simplifying my life and the clutter that is my material ownerships this summer. Finally removed my Nintendo and PS2 from my life and now, for the first time since I can remember, I am without a video game system and I don't regret it. I also cut my movies by another third and got rid of tons of books I'll never read again. It's nice to know I don't have so much crap waiting in boxes for my life to slow down.
8. Work- Wow, who would have thought? But, it's true. We live in a country where not everyone can get a job at the moment, but God has been good to me since I started working, never leaving me without a job. This summer has been great because I never had a lack of hours or pay and it's not only kept me busy and helped me pay for school, but it also has allowed me to grow more and more every day. Sanctifying hurts, but it's well worth it.
9. Good friends- Joel and Michelle are some of the most welcoming and heartfelt people I know. They never turn me away and go through a lost of trouble to help me during the summer. The BICS guys I got to see this summer where good as well, and Luke Peters was always on call for a Patrick's Pub trip. Not just that, but my friends Corey and Erica once again opened up their home to me and their love and kindness continues to be one of the most important and best things I have going for me. Plus, their kids crack me up and give me tons to talk about at school.
10. Allergies- Because sneezing can be fun.